Thursday, August 12, 2010

How Much Do You Weigh?

There are many ways to answer this question. The most common way is how much your physical body registers when you get on the scale. Easy enough to do and something you should do on a regular basis. It is good to know where you are.

Some people have physical bodies that don't weigh much, but their mind is completely weighed down by thoughts that don't serve them. Do you spend your time thinking about how much you dislike your job? That is one very heavy thought and it probably doesn't do you any real good. If you have this thought or one like it, this could be a great time to stop. Replace that weighty thought with productive ideas to lead you on a path to find a new job. Do you need some additional training? Do you need to get a student loan? Do you need to volunteer for an organization to get some new experience? Spend you time on those thoughts. They are much better for you.

Another way to weigh yourself is the amount of stuff you have in your life. Many of us, myself included, have spent a number of years accumulating stuff. For the record, I have a lot of stuff. All of my stuff was procured with a greater purpose, mind you. It has simply all added up into way too much. My physical body doesn't weigh so much but I have a ton of stuff. It makes me feel heavy. I am weighed down by stuff and worse yet, some of the stuff requires maintenance. How did I fall into the trap of getting stuff that then requires my time and energy to keep? Seems like a very silly waste of time, doesn't it?

I am cleaning out stuff today. And I'm going on a stuff diet. I don't want to be weighed down by stuff and I'm pretty sure this stuff won't be missed. I think a better way to live is to accumulate experiences and leave the stuff for others.

Think about how much stuff is in your life. Then think about how much stuff you really need. Autumn is on the way. Be like a tree who sheds leaves and let go of your stuff. Who knows what you'll then have room for in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment