Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Next Chapter

I've been blogging here for several years almost entirely under the Cybercise heading. My blogging volume has decreased of late due, in part, to my attempt to restrict this blog to Cybercise related topics. Doing so made me feel, well, restricted. All of who I am and what I'm working on is wrapped up not only in Cybercise but also in my consulting firm, Market Strategies, and my new book series, Move.Eat.Be., and the newest exciting thing I'll announce in a few months. All of my work is centered in one area: Improving Healthcare.

Doing so happens in various ways: Some of the very exciting consulting projects and programs I'm designing in the public sector. Cybercise and helping people get more exercise. Move.Eat.Be. and helping people find their own personalized approach to sustainable wellness. The Real Food Label project to help people make better food choices. I'm one of those people who thrives on having lots of  interesting stuff going on all at the same time.

Fixing our healthcare system isn't a "one walk dog." In other words, there isn't one single thing we should, or even could do, to fix our healthcare system. We need to do lots and, in my own small way, I'm moving lots of pieces around and are all related. The healthcare system itself needs to change. Our focus on "disease care" and "test and drug" is unsustainable and it doesn't help people stay healthy. The food system, farm policy, our education approach, special interests and politics is a huge mess which has a direct impact on people's ability to eat well on a budget. Our culture of "busyness" has driven us out of our kitchens and into the drive thru. We've forgotten the joy of a walk after dinner, climbing a tree and playing sports and we spend way too much time in front of a screen of one sort or another.

Ultimately, I'm working to create a national self care system where each of us has access to the tools, support and community to live long, healthy, and fulfilling lives. When people are healthy there will be enough providers and money in our disease care system to take care of people when they're sick. Plus, hopefully everyone will be happier and feel better.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment