Monday, December 21, 2009

"Only Tiny Amounts of Heavy Metal...."

Sometimes we read things and are only left with utter disbelief. This article reports the EPA and USDA are pushing farmers to use coal waste on fields. One of the most disturbing lines in the entire disturbing article is "The US EPA says those toxic metals only occur in tiny amounts that pose no threat to crops, surface water or humans."

Am I the only skeptic here? Can we please just stop doing things that we only think won't be harmful? It seems to me we should be implementing proven policy that utilize the gifts and capacity of nature. We should not be creating a market for the waste byproduct of industry. This coal waste policy only benefits the coal waste producers and big industry farmers. Don't be fooled, fellow readers.

Why do I care? Food is medicine. What we put into our bodies directly impacts our health. I, for one, don't want my food grown in fields with "only tiny amounts of heavy metal" put there to help big business capitalize on a waste product. I want to be healthy and I want you to be healthy and eating foods treated with coal waste is a step in the wrong direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment